Today's topic at my blog "Resurgence" on BigThink.com:



America Not Ready To Put Learning In Prime Time



Everywhere you turn, there is much commentary these days about the education oriented documentary Waiting For Superman. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but it really doesn’t matter, because I would be biased before I walked in the theater. My mother, her sisters, in fact every aunt I have except one was or is a school teacher, and the one who wasn’t still wound up working in the public school system. These are women who molded the lives of thousands of students, training their charges to read, write and reason. In fact, there were only two adults who were not educators in my entire neighborhood (it was small) growing up, so I will probably be pro-teacher or pro-professor for the rest of my life.

I’ve said it here before and I’ll say it again, because somebody needs to call a spade a spade—America as a nation is simply not ready for prime time when it comes to getting serious about educating our nation’s children. It is not ready, nor is there any preponderance of the population that is seriously interested in real solutions to maximize the effectiveness of our educational process. The majority of us are not interested in real solutions because real solutions would require changing the day-to-day habits of parents, instead of offering one of those presto change-o magic silver bullet answers that puts the entire responsibility on someone else, as if these are not our own children, and allow us to avoid the sorely needed rearranging of the priorities in our home lives.


Read More...


BigThink.com is a global forum connecting people and ideas.

You can access hundreds of hours of direct, unfiltered interviews with today's leading thinkers, movers and shakers, and, best of all, respond in kind. You can respond to the interviewee, respond to a responder or throw your own question or idea into the ring.

Newsvine Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook
blog comments powered by Disqus
opinions powered by SendLove.to
top