Today's topic at my blog "Resurgence" on BigThink.com:


Stephen Hayes's Cash Crop: "This Is How You Got Here"

"I don’t consider myself an artist. I consider myself a creator."

As soon as I heard these words from Stephen Hayes through the phone, I sat back in my chair. It wasn’t just the authority of his tone but the sense that he was totally in control of his talent and his vision that made me glad I’d asked him for an interview. Mr. Hayes, a recent recipient of a masters degree in fine arts from the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) is currently showing his master’s thesis, titled Cash Crop, at the Mason Murer Fine Arts Gallery in Atlanta. Cash Crop is comprised of fifteen life size relief sculptures of former slaves that serve for Hayes as a symbolic representation of the fifteen million Africans imported to the New World from 1540 to 1850. It is a must see installation, a massive multimedia piece that is as emotionally riveting as it is aesthetically engaging.


Read More...


BigThink.com is a global forum connecting people and ideas.

You can access hundreds of hours of direct, unfiltered interviews with today's leading thinkers, movers and shakers, and, best of all, respond in kind. You can respond to the interviewee, respond to a responder or throw your own question or idea into the ring.

Newsvine Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook
blog comments powered by Disqus
opinions powered by SendLove.to
top