Today's topic at my blog "Resurgence" on BigThink.com:


The FOX News Fact-Free Zone And Shirley Sherrod

If you listen to the entire video of Shirley Sherrod's infamous NAACP remarks, somewhere around the 14 minute mark, your stomach will start to curdle as you hear her describe her father's death at the hands of a group of southern white men in the sixties.


"My father wasn’t the first black person to be killed. He was a leader in the community. He wasn’t the first one to be killed by, by white men in the county. But I couldn’t just let his death go without doing something in answer to what happened. I made the commitment on the night of my father’s death at the age of 17 that I would not leave the south, that I would stay in the south and devote my live to working for change. And I’ve been true to that commitment all of these 45 years.

You know, when you look at some of the things that I’ve done through the years, and when you look at some of the things that happened to us. I went, I went to school my first two years at Fort Valley, I know there are some Albany State graduates in here too. I did my first two years at Fort Valley, but so much was happening back at home and then I met this man here—I’ll tell you a little bit about him – that I transferred back to Albany State, and did the last two years.

But two weeks after I went to school at Fort Valley they called and told me that a bunch of white men had gathered outside of our home and burned the cross one night. Now in the house was my mother, my four sisters, and my brother, who was born June 6 and this was September. That was all in the house that night. What my mother and one of sisters went out on the porch. My mother had a gun.

Read More...


BigThink.com is a global forum connecting people and ideas.

You can access hundreds of hours of direct, unfiltered interviews with today's leading thinkers, movers and shakers, and, best of all, respond in kind. You can respond to the interviewee, respond to a responder or throw your own question or idea into the ring.

Newsvine Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook
blog comments powered by Disqus
opinions powered by SendLove.to
top