The Brown Man Has Been On Break




The Brown Man has been on break.

The Brown Man has read only two newspapers in the last seven days. Watched no news at all until I did so accidentally the night before last, whereupon I fell directly asleep after about thirty seconds. And I have even been loathe to frequent my normal political oriented websites very much this week. None of this was planned - one day simply faded into the next.

The thing is, I don’t feel like I’ve missed anything.

The few glimpses I’ve taken here or there of current events reveals next to no new facts about anything that is really important, and a whole lot of information, like the fuss over the LeBron James press conference tonight, that is pretty much useless.

I think this recent holiday and two back-to-back birthday celebrations the last few days have imposed more of an internet free schedule on me than I normally enjoy. And I'll have to admit I’ve had a very good time the last few days doing the stuff that normal people do at the end of the day instead of pecking away at this keyboard.

In the business world, this is known as "the week that people who aren't on vacation resent being at work." Half the folks you need to talk to in order to get anything moving will be back next week. The other half are bugging you about World Cup soccer highlights, at least until they find out that you think it is just a time killer until the pro football season starts.

This internet is too seductive, though - too seductive and too powerful for me to be gone for long.

I ran into a little interference at the local Starbucks when I was picking up a copy of the Sunday edition of the New York Times last weekend. When I wished the manager a happy Independence Day, she looked me right in the eye and said clearly and distinctly, with a slight air of defiance, "it may be the last Independence Day we have."

She was a taut, lean, fifty something woman sporting a Katherine Hepburn jawline. I looked at her, resisting mightily the urge to tell her where she and the rest of her Tea Bagger buddies could go, and asked her to explain what she meant.

"We might not have any freedoms left by this time next year," she said.

I leaned over the counter and put on my best salesman smile. "Two hundred and twenty odd years ago, I imagine people said the same thing. And they've said it many times since then. But we are still here, still kicking. I think the country is going to be just fine for awhile to come."

There are more individual freedoms codified into law now than there ever were when the Founding Fathers sat down and penned the Constitution, a man made document that like the Bible has been attributed with out-sized mythical powers, mythical powers that seem to imbue those who reject logic and factual evidence in favor of emotional arguments with a sense of righteousness that is usually as wrong as the day is long.

The great thing is, I haven't thought about this until now.

Looks the the break has come to an end.















Newsvine Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook
blog comments powered by Disqus
opinions powered by SendLove.to
top