Flyswatter In Chief

For some reason, I happened to be in a situation similar to the one the president was in Tuesday, when a fly kept buzzing by me while I was in a meeting.

My aim was not as good as the president's. It took me two attempts to kill the nasty little booger. My execution was nowhere near as suave as the president's tightly controlled slap to the back of his own hand. The booklet I'd used to smush the pest slammed against the meeting table without warning, scaring a few of the people sitting around it.

And of course, there were no cameras to record any of my actions for posterity, so you're going to have to take my word for it that this actually happened.

With the attention this story got, I think we have officially entered the "dog days of summer".

While President Obama has been busy shuttling from meeting to meeting about his "now you see them, now you don't" healthcare proposals and worrying about the Khamenei in Iran, I've been shuttling from book to book this summer.

Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead kicked it off. Them by Nathan McCall was the second book I polished off, and now I'm just getting into the storyline of Man Gone Down by Micheal Thomas. I was actually reading this last book a little slower than normal, because I had no idea what was going to be next, when out of the blue comes I Am Not Sidney Poitier by Percival Everrett, a South Carolina native who stretches the definition of "story" whenever he gets in front of a keyboard, and Everything Matters! by Ron Currie, Jr., by one of my own fiction writing buddies.

So if Brown Man Thinking Hard seems a little more literary than normal this summer, it will be because I have finally calmed down enough from last year's cataclysmic political events to and gotten my reading mojo back.




Newsvine Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

Miranda said...

I was so disappointed when he didn't opt to pick the fly up, blow on it and bring it back to life.

Justice58 said...

I was so disappointed when he didn't opt to pick the fly up, blow on it and bring it back to life.


lol :)

Post a Comment

opinions powered by SendLove.to
top